sports field hockey

Field hockey drops pair of midwest matchups

iufhballstate9web.jpg

IU field hockey's record now sits at 5-7 after an unsuccessful Midwest road trip for the Hoosiers.

The Hoosiers lost games against No. 24 Iowa, 4-3, and Saint Louis, 3-2.  

The loss to Iowa means IU is still winless in conference play. The Hoosiers now sit at 0-3 in Big Ten games, tied for last in the conference with Ohio State.

Senior forward Maddie Latino netted two goals, and freshman forward Rylee Pearson scored her first goal of the 2017 season in the loss to Iowa. However, the Hawkeyes dominated the flow of the game. 

IU was outshot 7-14 overall and took five fewer penalty corners than the Hawkeyes.

"We're still playing a lot of people in different positions and trying to work things out," IU Coach Amanda Janney said. "We had a lot of players step up."

The game against Iowa was a constant back-and-forth scoring affair until Iowa scored the game-deciding goal in the final 11 minutes of the game.

"I was pleased with the response in the second half," Janney said.

IU continued its road trip with a match against the Saint Louis Billikens.  

Despite defeating Saint Louis, 6-0, in the preseason, Sunday's game did not go the same way. 

The Hoosiers fell to Saint Louis, 3-2, in a game where IU allowed three straight goals in the opening 20 minutes of the game. 

Latino and sophomore forward Sam Scire both scored to bring IU within one goal of St. Louis, but the Hoosiers were unable to climb out of the early deficit. 

Another 0-2 road weekend has IU searching for answers to get back on the winning track.

The Hoosiers hope to do just that when they hit the road to play Northwestern at 4 p.m. Friday, a game that can be seen on BTN plus.