opinion oped editorial

EDITORIAL: Rick and Morty fans need to be better

RickandMorty 10.12.jpg

Most people who spend time on the internet are familiar with the famous adult cartoon "Rick and Morty." 

Featuring a kid named Morty and his scientist grandfather, episodes center around dark humor, familial dysfunction and a healthy dose of science fiction. 

While the show itself is funny, its fans have recently taken things too far.

If you find yourself camping out at a McDonald’s for sauce because of a popular cartoon, you might want to rethink your actions — especially if camping out escalates to berating employees, protesting restaurants and causing a scene. 

One of the episodes featured the elusive “Szechuan sauce,” a retro dipping sauce that McDonald’s launched for a limited time for the release of Disney’s "Mulan" in the 1990s. 

Since this episode, "Rick and Morty" fans have developed an unhealthy obsession with the sauce. The internet is riddled with do-it-yourself Szechuan sauce recipes. 

Recently, McDonald’s decided to bring back the sauce for a limited time. 

In the Indianapolis area, sauce sought after by many was only available in limited quantities at a single McDonald’s location.

That’s one of seventeen McDonald’s in Indianapolis. With the "Rick and Morty" fandom reaching all-time highs, one McDonald’s was no match for hundreds of inconsiderate fans.

This was the case in nearly every city with a McDonald’s releasing the sauce. The stores were packed with hundreds of people demanding it. 

And the worst part is that these people were angry at McDonald’s locations – regardless of whether they carried the sauce or not. 

In this video, police were called to the scene as several angry people chanted “we want sauce” at a McDonald’s in Los Angeles.

Instead of being angry at minimum-wage workers who have zero control over sauce shipments, take a look in the mirror. 

McDonald’s issued an apology this week discussing how it disappointed its customers for “underestimating the demand.” Fans, not the company, should be the ones apologizing.

Despite the childishness of these nugget sauce protesters, many of them were adults. McDonald’s said the quantities would be limited.

Standing in line at a McDonald’s all day does not grant you the  right to an allotment of sauce. And it certainly doesn’t grant you the right to verbally assault the employees of the restaurant. 

In light of all the trouble this Szechuan sauce has caused, McDonald’s said in a statement that it would bring back the sauce in winter to more locations and in higher quantities. 

So please, this winter, get a grip when you want your sauce.