COLUMN: Kinsey Confidential answers question about volume of ejaculate

arts filler

My partner says that I ejaculate more than she has ever seen any man ejaculate. Is this normal?

It’s certainly possible! Semen volume per ejaculation can vary by man, as well as by ejaculation. Some research shows that semen volume can vary from about 1 milliliter to 6 milliliters, a considerable difference among men. You didn’t mention how much you ejaculate, but perhaps this information will give you a reference point. 

Scientists don’t fully understand the many possible factors that affect semen characteristics, including volume, although research has provided some clues. For example, some research suggests that cigarette smoking may be associated with lower semen volume, and other research suggests that more time between ejaculations may be associated with greater semen volume. 

However, these are relatively small differences. Anecdotally, some men notice changes to their semen volume based on sleep and exercise, but researchers have yet to study these factors. 

In any case, semen volume is not a competition, and if you and your partner are happy with your semen volume, then that’s good because there’s probably not much, if anything, you could do to change it.

Kinsey Confidential is part of a joint partnership between the IU School of Public Health-Bloomington (IU SPH) and The Kinsey Institute. The column is written by Dr. Debby Herbenick, professor in the IU SPH. Read past Q&A or submit your own question at KinseyConfidential.org. Follow us on Twitter @KinseyCon