COLUMN: IU's offensive problems waste great defensive performance

iumich11.jpg

EAST LANSING, Mich. – IU's offense is to blame for this loss. 

There’s no escaping the fact that offense squandered what was an extremely winnable game against No. 18 Michigan Saturday, losing 17-9. 

For the second consecutive weekend, the IU defense played like an elite unit, but the offense was unable to capitalize on the many opportunities it was presented. 

The elusive breakthrough victory was there for the taking, if only the offense could’ve scored more than three field goals. 

Last week, IU’s offense struggled against Michigan and the Hoosiers fell in overtime to the Wolverines. Saturday was just another in a long list of almost games for the Hoosiers.

While the Spartans have one of the best defenses in the country, IU's not scoring a single touchdown is unacceptable.

The passing offense lacked aggression and freshman quarterback Peyton Ramsey rarely threw on first down. IU only had two passes longer than 15 yards and zero runs longer than eight yards during the game. 

Whether it was play calling or execution, IU’s offense looked inept. 

IU’s longest drive in the first half was six plays and in the second half, the Hoosiers went on long drives of 61 yards and 63 yards, but its red zone offense was horrific. 

IU ran plays in the red zone that made absolutely no sense and cost the Hoosiers dearly. 

On third downs, Ramsey completed seven of 10 passes, but for only 36 yards. That meant he had to dink and dunk and didn’t have any options that would’ve picked up first downs. 

It was conservative play calling, when the opposite kind of play selection would've put the game out of reach with IU’s defense playing so well. 

Allen said both sides played conservatively, but it was what he expected would happen given the level of the two defenses.

“We knew obviously, it was a possession-type game," Allen said. "Both defenses are playing really well and both offenses just don’t want to turn the ball over." 

Last week, IU’s offense struggled against Michigan and IU fell in overtime to the Wolverines. Saturday was just another in a long list of almost games for the Hoosiers. 

“It’s very frustrating, but we know we have it all in our hands,” junior wide receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. said. “So when we get that opportunity, we need to step up and make the plays.”

There are many reasons why IU’s offense has struggled. Star junior wide receiver Nick Westbrook was lost on the opening kickoff and the offensive line has been beat up all season long. 

But injuries don’t excuse a complete lack of offensive creativity.

This IU defense is good enough to win nine games if the offense is average. Instead, the offense against Big Ten teams has been appalling and has been IU’s downfall this season. 

“We’ve played a hard schedule now, really hard schedule.” Allen said. “We ain’t backing down from nobody. So, we’re going to keep coming.”

While this is true, the frustrating losses won’t stop unless something changes offensively. IU cannot keep wasting masterful efforts by its defense. 

@thehussnetwork 

aphussey@indiana.edu