Students can no longer park in stadium white lot overnight

parking map

A section of parking in the white lot at Memorial Stadium south of the 19th Street entrance is no longer a place for students to store their cars overnight. The 200 parking spaces are now reserved for commuter parking, such as faculty and staff who hold employee value permits.

This change was initiated after IU’s Transportation Policy Advisory Committee received many complaints from staff and faculty last year who were unable to park close to a bus stop or were unable to get on a bus because it was full. Because of this, an extra bus is also being added to the X route.

“What we found was that some students were storing their cars in the areas that were most convenient for faculty to park,” said Julie Bauters, assistant vice provost for auxiliary business services, at the Sept. 19 Bloomington Faculty Council meeting. 

The change has been in effect since Aug. 21 but was not publicized until Sept. 1 due to the IU vs. Ohio State football game Aug. 31, which required all cars to be moved from the stadium’s parking lots before game day. 

Parking Operations told students who store their cars at the stadium to move them to other locations anyway, said Kevin Whited, transportation demand management coordinator. 

Further measures to improve parking for faculty, such as building a new parking garage, which will be completed in 2019 near Luddy Hall. Construction will be complete by the end of the semester. Student parking was ended in the Fee Garage or the Poplars Garage before 5 p.m. to free these spots for faculty. 

Previously, the EM-V permit was only valid at the stadium lot, Bauters said. The EM-V permit will also be allowed in EM-P and EM-S permit spaces after 5 p.m.

Rebecca Ellis

More