Softball honors past teams and begins fall season schedule

spiusoftball_uden.jpg

The IU softball team began the 2017 fall season Sunday afternoon with two games.

The Hoosiers have eight games on the fall schedule, although neither of Sunday's contests were at Andy Mohr Field.

Instead, the Hoosiers played Miami (Ohio) and Evansville at Grand Park, in Westfield, Indiana.

IU defeated Miami 9-2 in the first game before losing to Evansville 2-0 to end the day.

The games were the first time IU has taken to the diamond since the appointment of new Head Coach Shonda Stanton.

Stanton takes over for former Coach Michelle Gardner, who resigned May 24.

Fewer than three weeks later, Stanton was hired after spending 18 seasons as the head coach of the softball program at Marshall University in West Virginia.

Before Sunday's games, the IU softball program spent the weekend honoring the 1979 and 1980 IU teams.

Those two teams both qualified for the Women's College World Series, and players from those teams returned to speak to Stanton and the current IU players. The returning players also received World Series rings during the Leanne Grotke Award ceremony Friday night, according to an IU Athletics press release.

22 of the 25 players, coaches and personnel involved with the teams returned to Bloomington to be honored, according to the release. 

The games Sunday were the only appearances IU will make at Grand Park during the fall season.

Next, IU will play a doubleheader against IUPUI on Oct. 1 at Andy Mohr Field, before traveling to play Heartland Community College and Butler University on Oct. 7 at Butler in Indianapolis.

The Hoosiers will then close the fall season Oct. 13 with a doubleheader against Lakeland Community College in Bloomington.

Cameron Drummond