IU women's soccer: games to watch

Sophomore midfielder Chandra Davidson kicks the ball against Purdue on Sept. 23 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Davidson had four shots in IU's 1-1 tie with Purdue.

IU women’s soccer has already played a difficult nonconference schedule that featured five road games and a ranked win against Southern Methodist University. Through three games of Big Ten Conference play, the Hoosiers are currently tied for eighth in the conference with defending Big Ten champion Minnesota. The top eight Big Ten teams advance to play in the Big Ten Tournament on Oct. 29. 

1 p.m., Oct. 1, Bill Armstrong Stadium, IU vs. Illinois

This match will end a three-game homestand for the Hoosiers. Illinois allows an average of two goals per game, so it could be used for a momentum boost for IU heading into tougher opponents. If IU wants to make the Big Ten Tournament, it will have to take care of business at home against Illinois.

2 p.m., Oct. 8, Dan McClimon Memorial Track/Soccer Complex, IU at Wisconsin 

The Badgers are a top-10 opponent and could be the highest ranked team the Hoosiers play all season. Wisconsin already has a top-three win under its belt against Virginia. Wisconsin only averages 1.60 goals per game, with most of them coming in the second half. Sophomore forward Dani Rhodes leads the team with six goals. The Badgers have only lost one home game, but if IU can get on the board early, the Hoosier defense could help pull an upset victory.

12 p.m., Oct. 15, Bill Armstrong Stadium, IU vs. Nebraska 

Nebraska isn’t a ranked opponent, but it is receiving votes in the latest United Soccer Coaches Poll, and beating Nebraska would be a quality win for the Hoosiers at home. They’ve only allowed six goals this season and are led by senior midfielder Haley Hanson and sophomore forward Elyse Huber. When the Cornhuskers come to Bill Armstrong Stadium, it’ll be their fourth game on the road in a six-game span. 

5 p.m., Oct. 21, Bill Armstrong Stadium, IU vs. Rutgers

IU's senior night will come against Rutgers, a team the Hoosiers came from 2-0 down against to draw 2-2 last season. Rutgers has yet to lose a game in 2017 and has 10 different goal scorers. The defensive play of the Scarlet Knights has been the key to their success. They’ve yet to allow a goal all season and should pose a stern match-up for the IU offense.

7 p.m., Oct. 25, Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium, IU at Ohio State

Ohio State is receiving votes in the United Soccer Coaches Poll and is led by two senior forwards, Sammy Edwards and Eleanor Gabriel. IU won’t be given any easy opportunities as the most goals the Buckeyes have allowed this season is two. Ohio State will be coming off a three-game road stretch looking for a home victory to finish the season. IU’s hopes for a Big Ten Tournament bid could very well be determined by this game.