IU Human Resources partners with Gallup to survey staff

campus filler

IU Human Resources will collaborate with Gallup to conduct a survey of employees from Sept. 26 to Oct. 10. The survey, called MyVoice@IU, will help the department gage staff employees’ engagement, including how they feel about working at IU and the level of pride they feel in their work.

“The concept of engagement is highly important in the workplace,” said Debra Dunbar, director of talent and organization of IU Human Resources. “It’s a belief in what you do, in where you get to do it and with whom you get to do it.”

Gallup helps organizations with polling and collecting data. Dunbar said that after the results have been analyzed, University leaders and staff will create an action plan to enhance the work environment.

Every member of the staff hired before July 1, 2017, received an email on Sept. 26 containing an access code to participate in the survey. Dunbar said the collaboration with Gallup began when IU Human Resources decided to do an engagement survey. 

“What’s really cool about this is it’s the first time we’ve done this across all seven campuses,” Dunbar said.

Among those eligible to be surveyed are appointed staff members, part-time staff members and full-time staff members, such as office workers, academic advisors, custodians and people who work in the residence halls. Students will not be included in the survey.

Ken Guan, coordinator for Spruce Hall Residence Life, said IU puts a lot of focus on student engagement but this survey will focus solely on staff members' comments and concerns.

“I think it’s greatly appreciated,” Guan said.

IU Human Resources and Gallup will do a survey every two years to monitor staff engagement, Dunbar said.

“It’s taking a snapshot in time,” Dunbar said.

The survey contains a set of 12 questions that range from some of the basic needs of the workplace to the need of the individual, as well as an introductory question that will provide information specific to the employee answering the questions. The survey will take about 10 minutes to complete, and individual responses will be anonymous but will be tailored toward specific jobs.

“One of the things that are really important to Gallup and Indiana University is the confidentiality of responses,” Dunbar said.

The results will be shared in January, and employees who completed the survey will be able to see how their answers compare to best practice in the type of environment they work in, Dunbar said.

“Everyone will see the data that is relevant to them,” Dunbar said.

“It’s really about trying to enhance connection employees have with IU,” Dunbar said.