Field hockey's Latino named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week

iufh17_web.jpg

For the second consecutive week, an IU player has been named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week.

On Monday, the Big Ten Conference announced that senior forward Maddie Latino would be recognized with the honor. 

Latino has scored in IU’s last three games and netted a hat trick in an overtime win this past Sunday at home against Miami (Ohio).

This comes a week after sophomore midfielder Ciara Girouard received the same honor for her scoring accomplishments. 

Latino has now earned the second Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week award of her IU career. She was named Co-Offensive Player of the Week in 2015 after recording an assist in a win against Iowa, and then scoring twice in an upset win against then-No. 14 Northwestern. 

After this week’s offensive performance, Latino finds herself tied for ninth all-time for goals scored by an IU player with 19.

With the six points she earned in Sunday's win, Latino has 54 career points, which places her at eighth in the IU field hockey record book.  

She now has three game-winning goals this year, and she has seven in her career.

Latino and Girouard are now tied with 10 points and five goals on the season, helping IU’s attack rank in the top 20 nationally in goals scored per game.  

Thomas Stenner