COLUMN: Self-diagnosis won't get you anywhere

Growing up with clinically diagnosed mental illnesses entailed countless appointments with doctors, therapists and psychiatrists, and many different prescriptions throughout my childhood and adolescence. 

As difficult as this process was, it was necessary in my journey of learning how to combat my symptoms and better myself. That being said, self-diagnosis of mental illness is harmful and counterproductive.

In the modern age, experiencing symptoms and searching online for an explanation is just human nature. It is so easy to search for symptoms on Google and browse WebMD for whatever medical condition one may have. 

Thirty-five percent of adults have used the internet to self-diagnose a medical condition, according to findings from the Pew Research Center. More often than not, the problem arises when the symptom “headache” yields the result “brain tumor” when, in reality, the issue was just simple eye strain or the common cold.

In regards to mental illness, the process becomes even more complicated. A simple medical evaluation cannot determine whether one is suffering from a mental illness because these ailments vary in effect between individuals. 

Diagnosis requires a combination of physical exams, lab tests and psychological evaluations. Mental illnesses are not cookie-cutter viruses or diseases with precise lists of symptoms and effects. 

They affect each person in a different way, and it takes a medical and psychological professional to properly diagnose them. 

If someone is experiencing severe mood swings, they may search online and come to the conclusion that they have bipolar disorder. Unbeknownst to said person, mood swings are also prominent symptoms in borderline personality disorder and major depressive disorder

They might not even have a mental illness at all. Mood swings can also be triggered by stress or loss of sleep. Due to the complexities and nuances of each, it is nearly impossible to self-diagnose based on personal symptoms without a background in medicine and psychology. 

Beyond being dangerous, self-diagnosing mental illnesses is also counterproductive. The purpose of visiting therapists and seeking a prescription is to find healthy ways to treat, combat and handle symptoms. 

If one self-diagnoses a mental illness and then does not take the next step toward getting help, it is easy to fall into the mind-set of helplessness. 

While symptoms can be an extreme hindrance and sometimes even debilitating, resigning to give up and let them take over is an unhealthy coping mechanism. 

It is also easy to blame harmful and abusive behavior on an illness that is not even really there. Just because a symptom of borderline personality disorder is volatile and unstable relationships with friends and family does not mean the disorder itself serves as an excuse to treat people poorly – especially when the disorder has not been officially diagnosed.

Psychiatric symptoms can also be indicators of physical conditions. For example, in some cases, psychiatric issues are the only observable symptoms of brain tumors

This column is not to say that people should not speculate about symptoms they may be facing and seek the source of their problems, but putting all your faith in speculation won't help. 

If you are experiencing symptoms that can be attributed to a mental illness, consult a therapist or other medical professional. This is the first step to a proper medical diagnosis and learning to live with, and overcome, harmful symptoms.

emmagetz@indiana.edu
@emmaagetz