COLUMN: Kinsey Confidential answers question about condoms breaking

Kinsey Confidential Filler

My boyfriend and I had sex last night, and the condom broke, but he wasn't close to ejaculating, and I'm supposed to get my period three days from now. Could I get pregnant?

The situation you described sounds like a very low-risk pregnancy situation, though, of course, there is always at least some chance of pregnancy when a male and female have unprotected sex. 

The reason your situation sounds low risk in terms of pregnancy is that, first, your boyfriend did not ejaculate inside your vagina and, second, you were likely past the point of ovulation, since you are so close to getting your period. Ovulation generally occurs about 2 weeks before menstrual bleeding, though this can vary among women. 

In the future, if you and your boyfriend are not ready for pregnancy, you might consider doubling up on birth control by talking with a health care provider about possibly using an IUD, birth control implant, birth control pill, patch, ring or other forms. 

You can use any of these in addition to condoms to increase your risk of pregnancy prevention. Also, using a condom helpsable. reduce the risk of sexually transmitted infections, or STIs, which other birth control methods aren’t able to offer. If you are concerned about pregnancy risk, we encourage you to speak with your health care provider and take a pregnancy test when you are.

Kinsey Confidential is part of a joint partnership between the IU School of Public Health-Bloomington (IU SPH) and The Kinsey Institute. The column is written by Dr. Debby Herbenick, professor in the IU SPH. Read past Q&A or submit your own question at KinseyConfidential.org. Follow us on Twitter @KinseyCon