COLUMN: Four activities to make it feel like fall has arrived in Bloomington

Fall leaves

Fall is the best time of the year, no questions asked. The leaves are changing colors, you are not dripping in sweat while walking to class and jumping in a pile of leaves is more than acceptable. 

Let’s all say a prayer to Mother Nature so this hot weather subsides so we can all start enjoying our hot apple cider. Here are a few activities in Bloomington that can at least make it feel more like fall.   

1. Attend the Lotus World Music & Arts Festival

The 24th annual event is happening this upcoming weekend and features artists from around the world. The festival also has events like a parade, yoga session, crafts and activities for the whole family to enjoy. Lotus Festival also has a “Food Truck Village,” where hungry attendees can purchase food from many local food trucks. The “Festival Arts Village” will also be available for live art demonstrations and free art installations. 

2. Enjoy your favorite childhood Halloween movies

“Hocus Pocus”, any of the “Halloweentown” movies or “Twitches” will be sure to get you in the fall spirit. These classic films will start appearing on television again in the next few weeks, as Halloween quickly approaches. If you cannot wait until FreeForm’s “13 Nights of Halloween,” see a complete list of films here. “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is available on Netflix and will feed your Halloween appetite until Oct. 19, when FreeForm’s annual television event begins. 

3. Visit an apple orchard or pumpkin patch

Bloomington and its surrounding areas are full of apple orchards and pumpkin patches. Whether you are looking for fresh apple cider, a caramel apple or the perfect pumpkin, you will be sure to find these and other great fall treats locally. Fowler Pumpkin Patch in Bloomington has a great selection of pumpkins, a petting zoo and tractor rides. The pumpkin patch is open now and is located at 4932 N. Greene County Line Rd, and is featuring a great selection of pumpkin flavored treats. 

Musgrave Orchard & Cider Mill is a great place to get fresh apple cider, along with fresh, delicious caramel apples. Along with apples, Musgrave Orchard has a great selection of pumpkins, too. Musgrave Orchard is located at 8820 N. Old State Rd. 37 and is open now and throughout the fall season. 

4. Visit the Barn of Terror 

Going to a haunted house is a great way to get into the fall and Halloween spirit. The Barn of Terror is ranked sixth among Indiana’s best haunted houses, according to their website. Hauntings will occur every Friday and Saturday in October from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. and on Halloween.  Make sure you bring your friends along with you because this haunted house is too scary to brave alone. 

Enjoy these fun fall activities to do with your friends and family. Make sure to have a caramel apple pop sucker in one hand and a tall glass of hot apple cider in the other.