COLUMN: "Adult-ish" by IU alumna talks about adulting

entbookcover.jpg

It is always great to see Hoosiers doing big things in the world, and in Chapter 6 of the book column, I have the pleasure of speaking with a recent IU alumna who has published her first book. 

Cristina Vanko is the author of  “Adult-ish: Record your Highs and Lows on the Road to the Real World,” a guided journal to help young adults keep track of all of life’s greatest moments thus far. 

Vanko graduated from IU in 2011 and worked at the Indiana Daily Student  as an illustrator for the Opinion Desk . While here, Vanko said her favorite parts of IU included the diversity and the arts programs. 

“There were so many friends to be had all over the place," Vanko said.

Vanko used what she learned at IU about graphic design to help her publish her first book, “Hand Lettering for Everyone” in 2015. 

entbookcolumn2.jpg
Cristina Vanko's book "Adult-ish: Record Your Highs and Lows on the Road to the Real World" is an illustrated journal that gives readers prompts to write about. Vanko is an IU alumna. Courtesy Photo

“Adult-ish” was published with Penguin Random House last April, and this emphasis on graphic design has followed her into the new book. The pages are filled with drawings and hand-lettered quotes that scream graphic designing genius. 

Vanko originally sat down to create this book as a celebration of getting older. She did it when she realized she was becoming an adult herself. 

“There’s no timeline," Vanko said in regards to concepts she realized during the project. 

She was watching her friends become upset that they were getting older. They were unhappy if they weren’t married by a certain time, or if they didn’t receive a promotion at work when they wanted to, Vanko said. 

Vanko’s book is a suggestion that rules don’t exist in the game of getting older. She wanted to find humor in the process, and she hoped to encourage everyone else. 

From the bouncy font to the interactive pages and relatable quotes, this book allows young adults to satisfy their inner child. Some pages ask readers to draw something, answer a question or write down a memory. This book is a great way to look over your life. 

Vanko’s favorite page in the book contains the image of a plant. This page celebrates the idea that if you have achieved the basic goal of keeping a plant alive, maybe you can do more. 

“It’s like, maybe I’m ready to take care of a dog," Vanko said in regards to the achievement of keeping a plant from dying. 

To go along with the book, Vanko created an Instagram account. Here, she posts pictures of pages from the book with her responses. Vanko also posts, “You know you’re an adult when...” pictures on another Instagram account. Both accounts are completely relatable, and they make you realize how fast you are growing up. 

Vanko doesn’t have any official future projects in the works right now, but she said there may be something in the pitch process, so “Adult-ish” fans should stay tuned. 

“Adult-ish: Record Your Highs and Lows on the Road to the Real World” by Cristina Vanko is currently available on Amazon. Pick up the book, and have fun figuring our your entrance to “adult” life.