weekend

Uncovering Bloomington: The Upstairs Pub

Bars are a dime a dozen in Bloomington, and it can be treacherous to weed through them all to find your favorite.

With three Kilroy’s bars competing for college students’ attention, the best bar in Bloomington can easily get lost in the mix, which is why I’m here to tell you all about it.

The Upstairs Pub is located right above Jimmy John’s on Kirkwood Avenue, and it is the only place you need to be going.

It has great deals on drinks throughout the week and doesn’t smell like booze and regrets, which is the disgusting aroma Kilroy’s on Kirkwood gives off, even from the street.

That smell seeps into your pores and you’ll feel like you’re sweating alcohol for days after you leave, which is why KOK should be avoided at all costs, unless you’re just stopping in to get your Thursday T-shirt and leave.

And unlike KOK, you won’t be overcharged on drinks and tap beer and cider on random days of the week at the Upstairs Pub.

The atmosphere of the Upstairs Pub has a quaint feeling of closeness, but it’s still large enough for elbow room. The patio is great any time of the year, and the pool table and dartboards offer other entertainment beside the many televisions that air every sports game you can imagine.

This bar also respects its customers and gives the people what they want. While the Cubs were playing in the World Series, the bar shut down the music in order for fans to listen to the announcers.

And even though us Cubs fans didn’t want to hear Joe Buck talk about other pitchers from other teams, it was nice knowing that the establishment cared enough to risk losing other business for us to have a nice, friendly atmosphere to watch the most important games of our lives.

So if you’re looking for a great place to go where the free popcorn never stops popping and the drinks are always fantastic, stop by the Upstairs Pub. You won’t regret it.