weekend

Weekend's Guide to Summer in Bloomington

Concerts

Jimmy Eat World – 8:00 p.m., May 16, The Bluebird (21+)BDB

Legendary emo band Jimmy Eat World will bring its searing guitar riffs and fragile vocals to The Bluebird next week. The band arrives fresh off its ninth studio album, “Integrity Blues,” which was released last fall. Philadelphia punks Beach Slang are set to open the show. Looking forward to slam dancing to “Bleed American?” Already planning an argument to have with the kids in line about what counts as “real emo?” Act soon. Tickets are selling fast.

Jenny Lewis – 8:00 p.m., June 4, The Buskirk-Chumley Theater BDB

Jenny Lewis might be the hardest-working musician in indie rock. She’s played with The Postal Service, Cursive, Wavves and Bright Eyes, not to mention fronted her own critically-acclaimed indie rock outfit Rilo Kiley. Those out of the indie loop but plugged into ‘80s nostalgia might recognize Lewis from her starring role in 1989’s cult classic/100 minute Nintendo commercial “The Wizard.” Doors will open at 7:30 PM.

Films

The Salesman – 7:00 p.m., May 11; 3:00 p.m., May 13, IU Cinema BDB

The Academy Award-winning film “The Salesman” will play at the IU Cinema tonight and Saturday afternoon as part of The International Arthouse Series. The film revolves around a young couple from Tehran who find themselves forced to move into a new apartment. When violence linked to the previous tenants erupts, tension begins to bubble under the surface of their once happy relationship. Look for our take tonight online at idsnews.com.

Colossal – 7:00 p.m., May 19; 7:00 p.m., May 20, IU Cinema BDB

When the down-and-out Gloria (Anne Hathaway) reconnects with her childhood friend Oscar (Jason Sudeikis), you might think you already have “Colossal” figured out: romance will be found, second chances will be earned and a Shins song will play at the melodramatic dénouement. But things take a turn for the strange when a giant lizard-like monster materializes in Seoul, Korea, to wreak havoc. Sure, we all know that monsters are really metaphors for our own personal demons, but Vigalando’s deconstruction of kaiju flicks and romantic comedies is sure to set “Colossal” apart from the typical rom-com fodder.

Ocean Waves – 7:00 p.m., Aug. 17; 3:00 p.m., Aug. 19, IU CinemaBDB

In what was the first Studio Ghibli production to be directed by someone other than studio founders Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, “Ocean Waves” tells the story of three school-age friends living in Tokyo. Rarely seen outside of Japan, this subtle tale of friendship and growing-up might not fit in alongside the more fantastical Studio Ghibli features – it’s more “Stand by Me” than “My Neighbor Totoro”— but it’s sure to charm nonetheless. As always, the IU Cinema will screen the film in its original Japanese with English subtitles.

Festivals

Limestone Comedy Festival – June 1 - June 3BDB

W. Kamau Bell is just one of many comedians coming to Bloomington this June for the Limestone Comedy Festival. Participating venues include The Buskirk-Chumley Theater, The Comedy Attic, The Bishop, the Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center and The Back Door. Day passes and individual show tickets are available online.

Taste of Bloomington – 3:00-11:00 p.m., June 17, Showers CommonBDB

Swim suit season can wait. Enjoy live music while you gorge yourself on the best food and drink from the finest local restaurants, wineries and breweries at the Taste of Bloomington festival. Tickets are available online.

@BryanBrussee