New IMU Chocolate Moose location opens its doors

cachocolatemoose2.JPG

Follow the moose tracks on the floor and yield for moose crossing. What used to be a yogurt and smoothie shop on the first floor of the Indiana Memorial Union is now filled with the sweet smell of homemade ice cream. 

Many students and Bloomington residents have come to buy their ice cream in the IMU. For some, the new location is just a temporary place to buy their ice cream while they wait for the new downtown location to open.

“This is definitely less of an experience,” Bloomington local Sam Norrell said. “The old location made the Chocolate Moose such a distinctive part of Bloomington."

The shop offers homemade and soft serve ice cream, shakes, blizzs and vegan options at its IMU location. It also offers pints and half-pints of ice cream.

Sophomore Spencer Biery said the concept shop in the IMU feels less personal and is lacking the walk-up experience the downtown location had.

“I love Chocolate Moose," Biery said. "It’s just not the same."

The Chocolate Moose has been working with RPS Dining Services to offer what they call “concepts,” or small shops in various locations around campus, including the Hoosier Stores in Willkie Quad and in Eigenmann Hall as well as in Herman B Wells Library. The IMU location, however, does not operate on the I-Bucks system.

Through their relationship with RPS and the IMU, the Chocolate Moose is able to make sure that the ice cream, a local favorite, is easily accessible, Regional Manager Jordan Davis said. The ice cream is still made in the same machine, right here in Bloomington. 

The newest and biggest location will be at 403 S. Walnut St. on the first floor of a new apartment complex, Urban Station. Davis said the company hasn’t picked a firm opening date but hope to open in the next week or two.

For those who are still looking for that old-school Chocolate Moose experience, Davis said the Walnut Street location will still have a walk-up window. He said it won't quite be the same, but there will be photos around the shop paying homage to the old stand.

Similar to their Nashville, Indiana, location, the new downtown shop will open early and close late, featuring a full-scale menu and coffee shop serving Brown County Coffee, Davis said. It will have both indoor and outdoor seating.

“It will look new and contemporary, but you will also see all of the pictures of our history when you walk in,” Davis said. “It will still be the same homemade ice cream everyone knows and loves.” 

This story has been updated to clarify that the Chocolate Moose concept in the Indiana Memorial Union, like other Union concepts, does not accept student meal plans.