IU sports teams to look forward to

spiuwbb

IU Women’s Basketball

The eighth leading scorer in IU women’s basketball will play her final season for the Hoosiers in 2017-2018.

Following three impressive seasons, senior Tyra Buss looks to add to her already illustrious career in the upcoming season.

The past two seasons, Buss has been named to the All-Big Ten First Team, the first time a Hoosier has done this since Jill Chapman did so in 2001-2002. She has already scored 1,601 points - the most points by any player through her junior season- and averaged over 18 points per game the past two seasons. Buss has the IU record for consecutive double-figure scoring games with 59, which she set last season.

Also, coming back for her senior season is Amanda Cahill and the Hoosiers look to return to the NCAA Tournament. IU reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament in 2016 and made it to the quarterfinals of the NIT Tournament in 2017.

IU Men’s Soccer

Following a season where IU lost in heartbreaking fashion to Virginia Tech in the Round of 16 in the NCAA Tournament, IU brought in the number-four ranked recruiting class in the nation. The Hoosiers finished last season ranked ninth in the country by the National Soccer Coaches Association of America poll.

However, IU loses its leading goal scorer, Tanner Thompson, who had eight goals and three assists last season. IU’s leading returning goal scorer is junior Trevor Swartz, scoring five goals last season.

IU does return one of the best defenses in the country led by senior Grant Lillard and junior defenders Andrew Gutman and Rece Buckmaster. IU only gave up 16 goals all last season.

At the heart of their defense, the Hoosiers have to find a new goalkeeper as both Colin Webb and Christian Lomeli graduated. IU currently has five goalkeepers on its roster, but none who has played in a collegiate game.

IU Football

IU football has new leadership for the 2017 season.

IU Coach Tom Allen was elevated to head coach following the resignation of Kevin Wilson in December 2016. Allen looks to build on the foundation that Wilson laid in getting IU to back-to-back bowl games.

The strength of the team is its defense, led by senior linebacker Tegray Scales. Last season, Scales became the first Hoosier linebacker to All-America Honors since 1987 and led the country with 23.5 tackles for loss.

In the secondary, IU is led by senior cornerback Rashard Fant, who was second team All-Big Ten last season. Fant is IU’s career leader with 48 passes defended and 44 pass breakups.

Senior quarterback Richard Lagow returns and appears poised to be the starting quarterback under new offensive coordinator Mike DeBord, who comes to IU after having the same position with Tennessee. Lagow passed for 3,362 yards and 19 touchdowns last season, but also was intercepted 17 times.

Lagow will throw to two of the best wide receivers in the Big Ten. Junior receiver Simmie Cobbs Jr. returns after missing all last season due to an ankle injury. In 2015, he had 60 catches and 1,035 yards. Junior wide receiver Nick Westbrook had a breakout season in 2016 with Cobbs out. Westbrook had 54 catches and 995 yards.