Greek recruitment begins for fall

caInvolve2016_web2.jpg

With all the dates, events and rules, the process of joining greek life is not always clear, and procedures might change depending on the councils and chapters a student wants to join.

While joining an Interfraternity Council or Panhellenic Association chapter often includes attending organizational events, students with an interest in joining a fraternity or a sorority in the National Pan-Hellenic Council should take a different approach, according to chapter members.

According to the Division of Student Affairs, the Interfraternity Council governs 28 men's chapters and four colonies. A colony is a greek organization not recognized by its national chapter. The IFC is the largest leadership council and has the most chapters.

Junior Charnita Johnson of Zeta Phi Beta said students can attend events like Meet the Greeks. They can also reach out through the organization’s social media pages, like Instagram, if they want to become involved.

Johnson said she believes that it can be difficult to be on a black council on a predominantly white campus because of social stigmas and competition.

“People should know popularity is a stigma for most people, and you should do your research and go with whatever organization fits you the best,” Johnson said. 

Junior Jesse Jones, member of Alpha Phi Alpha, another National Pan-Hellenic Council, said the chapters in this council work differently and do not have a pledging or rushing process like IFC chapters.

“The way you can get involved is coming to volunteer in the community and attending informational seminars we hold where we teach about the history and important members of the fraternity,” Jones said.

Panhellenic Association is the governing body of more than 20 women's chapters at IU and is the second-largest council after IFC. 

Many PHA sororities do not have informal fall recruitment, a process in which chapters plan events specifically for interested members that does not follow the specific structure of formal spring recruitment. However, there are events potential recruits are able to attend.

Junior Jordan Angus of Alpha Phi said going to chapter events can help students learn about the organizations and discover which one fits them best. 

“I was really nervous when I was starting to look at sororities,” Angus said. “I’m from San Diego, and I came in not knowing anyone here. I just started going to some events that Alpha Phi put on. It is a good thing to come to houses to have dinner or go to philanthropy events. Even if you don’t know anyone, it is good to become a familiar face and just to say hi.”

Alpha Phi does not have a fall informal recruitment process, but it will have a philanthropy week benefiting women’s heart health starting Sept. 25 with a blood drive at the Alpha Phi house at 908 E. Third St., which house members recommend potential members attend.

“I know it can be intimidating, but coming to events earlier helps so much and helps make rushing so much easier,” Angus said. “I went to philanthropy events, and it helped so much, and it’s really a good way to get a good feeling of the house.”

Girls looking to join a chapter that is a part of PHA should sign up for formal recruitment starting Oct. 1 at iupanhellenic.org.

For men looking to join a fraternity that is a part of the Interfraternity Council, junior Jordan Hitchcock of Alpha Sigma Phi said people should ignore the stereotypes that surround greek life and make decisions for themselves. His fraternity, for example, does not haze and focuses on brotherhood.

“Joining greek life is a good experience, and it’s a good way to get involved with IU and the community and to give back to charity,” Hitchcock said. “The things they see that happen in the movies aren’t true, and I think people should go through the process before they make a decision."

Students involved in greek life recommend for those looking to reach out to chapters, attend events and do research on different chapters before deciding which one would suit them best.