DeBord changing IU's offensive style

Richard Lagow

Things are different from the last time Ohio State came to Bloomington for a football game.

Not only has IU's defense has gone from a liability to a strength, but IU's offense is set to take on a new look this season.

The up-tempo system under former Coach Kevin Wilson is gone. In its place will be a more pro-style offense under new associate head coach and offensive coordinator Mike DeBord.

"We've got to take care of what we do," DeBord said. "When you talk about that offensively, we got to take care of the football. We can't turn it over like what happened last year."

IU had 29 giveaways last season, including 17 interceptions from Lagow.

However, Wilson's high-risk, passing-friendly offense averaged nearly 30 points per game over the past three seasons. In comparison, DeBord's past two seasons at the University of Tennessee saw the Volunteers make great strides in offensive production.

DeBord's teams averaged almost 36 points per game in 2015 and 2016, although the Muncie, Indiana, native had a dual-threat quarterback at his disposal in Joshua Dobbs, now with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

IU senior quarterback Richard Lagow may not be known for his blistering speed, but DeBord is finding other ways to help him become a more effective passer.

"A lot of camp was installing plays you already have a pretty good knowledge of, and then just adding tweaks here and there," Lagow said. "Being able to line up, no matter what our formation is, and play."

Lagow's turnovers last season were often the storyline following IU losses. However, DeBord said Lagow has gotten better at playing "smart football" during preseason camp.

"I told him 'it's my job to get you in a better play, not your job,'" DeBord said. "He doesn't have to make plays, he really doesn't. Whatever is given, take it."

The way DeBord utilizes tight ends on offense should also help Lagow in the passing game in 2017. While Wilson rarely deployed tight ends as consistent passing options, DeBord, who also serves as the tight ends coach, has tried to shine a spotlight on the position since joining Coach Tom Allen's staff in January 2017.

Senior Ian Thomas is listed atop IU's depth chart at tight end. Thomas posted only three catches during the 2016 season, but was behind former IU football player Jordan Fuchs and current senior offensive lineman Danny Friend on the depth chart.

"He obviously is very physical and strong," DeBord said. "This offense is very much suited for a tight end."

DeBord is also tasked with fixing IU's red zone woes on offense. The Hoosiers scored touchdowns on only 24 of 49 red zone opportunities last season, and only scored points on 35 occasions when venturing inside the opponent's 20-yard line.

Changes along the offensive line and at running back further complicate DeBord's efforts to implement his offensive style. Proven players like former offensive linemen Dimitric Camiel and Dan Feeney, and former running back Devine Redding are no longer part of the team.

But DeBord's track record speaks for itself.

Last season, Tennessee scored on almost 90 percent of its red zone possessions. In 2015, he helped lead the Volunteers to their best rushing season since 1951.

These two areas represent the biggest question marks for IU in 2017, and time will tell if DeBord can provide the answers.