COLUMN: Marcelino Ball has star potential for the Hoosiers

SPORTS FBC-INDIANA-MICHIGAN 5 DE

The most important player on IU’s defense is only a sophomore. 

Last season, Marcelino Ball was baptized by fire as he started 12 games at the husky position for the Hoosiers. 

While there were moments when he made mistakes, he had a terrific freshman campaign where he flashed his star potential. 

Safeties coach Noah Joseph says he sees Ball as a player who can become a star this season, but still has room to grow. 

“He’s made a lot of big plays for us, but he needs to have more consistency," Joseph said. 

With 13 games under his belt, he has a season of experience in Allen's defense. 

"I just think, you know, a year older and understands when you come here as a freshman, he’s trying to learn what to do, you don’t really ever say much to your teammates and you’re just really trying to survive in some ways and figure it all out,” Allen said. “But now he’s able to, you know, do what he’s doing at a much higher level, much more accurate, much less mistakes.”

With Allen’s 4-5-2 scheme, Ball plays a highly important role at the husky position, where versatility is a must. As a husky, one needs to play a variety of roles, including safety, linebacker and cornerback, and for a freshman, that is a lot to process in your first season. 

Ball played well last year, but he said he feels much more comfortable heading into the season. 

That’s huge for the Hoosiers, as he has the athletic talent to be IU’s second best player on defense, behind senior linebacker Tegray Scales. Senior safety Chase Dutra said he has seen tremendous growth from Ball in terms of his knowledge about the game. 

"I think last year, he was just a freak of an athlete,” Dutra said. “It’s going to stay that way, he’ll always be a freak of an athlete, but his knowledge of the game, his learning the plays, learning what he’s doing and why he’s doing that, just him growing as an overall player has helped him just in the last offseason grow.”

Ball might be the most athletic player on IU’s defense, as he combines a rare mix of size and speed. He’s able to come down and crash the box against the run and cover, a wide receiver in the slot, making him an invaluable asset for the Hoosiers. Allen can deploy him in different roles to hinder the strengths of the opposing offense. 

Ball didn’t rest on the laurels of his strong freshman season and knew he needed to continue improve. 

Allen’s office overlooks Memorial Stadium and all offseason, he observed Ball working on his game. 

“I don't know if there was ever a day that went by where he wasn't out there doing something extra on his own, whether it was back-pedaling, change-of-direction drills, different cone drills, whatever,” Allen said. “Just consistently by himself many times on the weekends. He's just a very driven individual. He expects to elevate, he expects more from himself, and I expect the same.”

But one of the biggest things is he’s emerging as a young leader for Allen’s defense. 

“This past summer I’ve become more vocal than I was ever,” Ball said. “As far as working on the field, I’m usually quiet, and I’m just focused on me. However, I’ve realized that it’s not about me.”

This defense is about him. 

His skills are so unique and so crucial to shutting down opposing offenses that he is the most important part of the defense. There isn’t another player on the roster that can do what he can do.

Ball burst onto the scene as a freshman, but if he can continue his ascent as a player, IU’s defense can take another leap forward. 

aphussey@indiana.edu 

@thehussnetwork