Sleeping Bag to play the Bishop Thursday

Dave Segedy (center) with Sleeping Bag. (Photo Courtesy of Joyful Noise Record)

Dave Segedy was living in an attic in Muncie, Indiana, when in 2008 he started his bedroom recording project Whoa Bro Awesome.

Now the drummer fronts the indie rock band Sleeping Bag, which is set to play the Bishop Thursday night alongside like-minded bands Fresh Kill and Cliffs.

It’s a long time coming for the indie trio, for which Segedy writes the music and thats personnel is rounded out by guitarist Tyler Smith and bassist Glenn Myers.

Since its official start in 2011, the band has released three records on Indianapolis-based record label Joyful Noise — which distributes through the local record label Secretly Canadian — and has found coverage in local alt-weekly “Nuvo” as well as “The Village Voice” and “The Fader.”

Smith and Myers joined the band in 2014 following the departure of original guitarist Lewis Rogers and bassist David Woodruff, and made their recorded debut on Sleeping Bag’s third record, “Deep Sleep.”

It’s the band’s mix of lo-fi pop and indie rock that’s captivated both legacy and up-and-coming music publications. The early single “Slime” gained Sleeping Bag some traction with music blogger Anthony Fantano, who broadcasts his daily “The Needle Drop” YouTube review show to one million subscribers.

“Sleeping Bag is going to remind you of something,” reads the band’s Facebook bio. “You’re going to think it’s something specific. But the thing is, so is the person next to you.”

Part of that ambiguity stems from Segedy’s vague lyrical constructs — “Scone Zone,” a song from the band’s self-titled debut, is just one of many without precise meaning.

“Lyrics are just vessels for the melody in my opinion,” Segedy told the Huffington Post in 2011. “There are some songs that are definitely about something, but not many.”

The band will release its fourth studio album, “Wet,” Aug. 11, courtesy of Warm Ratio records. It’s preceded by the single “Doin’ It Alone.”

Tickets for Thursday’s show cost $6. Sleeping Bag will play Bloomington again Saturday, September 2 at the Blockhouse.