IU professor named American Chemical Society fellow

Pratibha Varma-Nelson (Courtesy Photo of IU Newsroom)

Dennis G. Peters, the Herman T. Briscoe Professor of Chemistry, was named a fellow of the American Chemical Society on Monday. 

Pratibha Varma-Nelson, a professor in the Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology at IUPUI, was also named a fellow, according to an IU Newsroom press release. 

65 individuals are chosen to join the American Chemical Society each year. Peters and Varma-Nelson will be honored during the society’s 254th National Meeting and Exposition. The ceremony and reception will take place in Washington, D.C. on Aug. 21.

Peters, an analytics chemist and member of the IU faculty since 1962, researches the electrochemical behavior of materials that contain halogen atoms. 

Peters has served as the associate chair, graduate adviser, director of general chemistry and coordinator of graduate studies for the Department of Chemistry. He was also the adviser for the Master of Arts for Teachers program. 

While at IU, Peters has received four Trustee Teaching Awards since 2003, an IU Distinguished Service Award in 2005 and the W. George Pinnel Award for Outstanding Service at IU in 2006. 

Peters co-authored five undergraduate textbooks on analytical chemistry. He has authored or co-authored more than 210 research articles. 

Varma-Nelson served as the executive director of the Center for Teaching and Learning at IUPUI. She has also researched how students learn chemistry in face-to-face and online learning environments. The National Science Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have supported her works. 

The American Chemical Society provides access to chemistry-related information and research through multiple databases, peer-reviewed journals and scientific conferences. The non-for-profit organization was chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1876. 

Emily Eckelbarger