IU football player Simmie Cobbs, Jr. arrested Saturday

spfootball_web

Wide receiver Simmie Cobbs, Jr. attempts to pass Purdue safety Leroy Clark on Nov 28, 2015 at Ross-Ade Stadium. Cobbs, Jr. was booked in Hamilton County Jail on July 16 according to the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office website. Haley Ward / Indiana Daily Student Buy Photos

Redshirt junior Simmie Cobbs Jr. was arrested Saturday night during a Jason Aldean concert at Klispch Music Center, according to a Hamilton County Sheriff's Office press release. 

The IU wide receiver was charged with resisting law enforcement and refusal to identify, class A and B misdemeanors respectively. Cobbs was released Sunday afternoon after a pre-trial screening assesment, according to the release.

"Cobbs was brought to the Klispch Music Center Security Office by in-house security due to not complying with security personnel attempting to clear aisles during the concert," the press release said. "He then became confrontational with security."

Once at the security office, Cobbs refused to cooperate when asked to take a breathalyzer test and when asked to provide identification, he refused to comply, according to the release.

“Indiana University Athletics and the IU football program are aware of the arrest of redshirt junior Simmie Cobbs Jr.,” IU Athletics said in a statement. “We will continue to gather facts, monitor the legal process and take action as the evolving situation warrants.”

Cobbs, Jr., who ranked eighth in the Big Ten in receptions and third in the Big Ten in touchdowns in the 2015 season, was suspended for last year’s season opener against Florida International University along with five other football players. The players were suspended for “not living up to their responsibilities to the program at different times since the conclusion of the 2015 season,” the IU football program said in a statement at the time. The 6-foot-5 wide receiver missed the remainder of the year after suffering a season-ending ankle injury in IU’s second game.

More