Tuesday, March 19

Camion Patrick and T.J. Simmons granted medical hardships

IU Coach Tom Allen steps aside during morning workouts Thursday. 

Fifth year seniors linebacker T.J. Simmons and running back Camion Patrick were granted medical hardships Monday, ending their collegiate careers, IU Athletics announced in a press release. 

Simmons started 35 games in his career as a three-year starter, recording 213 tackles, six sacks and 16.5 tackles for loss. He will join the Hoosiers as a student coach for the 2017 season.

“T.J. was a 3-year starter and a tough kid that I was looking forward to coaching,” IU Coach Tom Allen said in the release. “He did everything that he could to get himself back from his knee injury, but he was unable to reach a place where he could consistently play.”

Patrick came to Bloomington in 2015 after attending East Mississippi Community College. As a Hoosier, Patrick suffered an ACL injury during a 2016 spring practice and an shoulder injury that required surgery this offseason. Despite his injuries, IU’s coaching staff, including Allen and former head coach Kevin Wilson, said it had high expectations of the running back.

Patrick’s most productive game at IU was against then-No. 3 Michigan in 2016, when he caught a 40-yard touchdown and rushed for a touchdown on his way to 164 all-purpose yards in the loss.

“Camion has battled to get back following each injury, but his body has let him down,” Allen said in the release. “He recognizes that. We recognize that, and we want to help him finish strong in the classroom and help him create a bright future for himself.”

Taylor Lehman