Hoosier hoping to hear names called on draft night

Thomas Bryant screams on the court against the University of North Carolina on Nov. 30, 2016. Bryant has started the last three games for the NBA's Washington Wizards. 

The 2017 NBA Draft will feature three players from the IU basketball team. Sophomores Thomas Bryant, OG Anunoby and junior James Blackmon Jr. will represent the Hoosiers on Thursday night as they wait to hear their names called.

Anunoby is the highest Hoosier on most draft boards and will likely be the first IU player selected. He is the 36th best prospect according to nbadraft.net and most mock drafts have him going in the 10-25 range. The athletic forward suffered a season-ending injury after just 16 games last season.

Bryant has also gathered plenty of hype leading up to this year’s draft. He is currently projected as a second-round pick. IU’s big man passed up on the opportunity to go pro last year, but has now elected to move on after two solid seasons in Bloomington.

Blackmon has declared for the draft this year after suffering a leg injury during his sophomore season that limited him to 13 games. His junior season was the best of his career statistically, but the sharpshooting guard is not projected to get drafted in either round on Thursday.

These three will hopefully join an elite group of Hoosiers who have went on to play in the NBA. IU has seen five of its players reach the next level in recent years.

In the 2013 NBA Draft, Victor Oladipo was taken No. 2 overall by the Orlando Magic and Cody Zeller was drafted by the Charlotte Bobcats with the No. 4 pick. One year later, Noah Vonleh was selected No. 9 overall to Charlotte in the 2014 draft.

Yogi Ferrell and Troy Williams also put their names in the draft last year, but the two were not selected on draft night. Both managed to sign a contract shortly after the draft and enjoyed successful rookie seasons.