New dean named for School of Public Health

David B. Allison

IDS Reports

David B. Allison has been named the new dean of IU School of Public Health-Bloomington.

Allison’s appointment was approved Friday by the IU Board of Trustees. He will begin the position Aug. 15, according to an IU Newsroom press release.

Allison is a former associate dean for research and science in the School of Health Professions at the University of Alabama Birmingham and an elected fellow of the National Academy of Medicine.

While at the University of Alabama, he was also a Distinguished Professor, the Quetelet Endowed Professor, director of the Office of Energetics and director of the Nutrition Obesity Research Center, a National Institutes of Health-funded program.

His work as director of the Nutrition Obesity Research Center brought the program funding for pre- and postdoctoral training grants and increased philanthropic funding. Allison also oversaw a national conference series that increased the research center’s local and national exposure.

“His research in the sciences and expertise in the areas of obesity and prevention align perfectly with our state’s health mission and partnerships with organizations throughout Indiana,” said IU Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Lauren Robel.

Allison received a Ph.D. in clinical and school psychology from Hofstra University in 1990, where he also earned his master’s degree in clinical and school psychology in 1987. He earned his bachelor’s degree in psychology at Vassar College in 1985.

“I really look forward to working with other researchers at IU and collaborating with our surrounding communities on projects to improve communities and support IU Bloomington’s School of Public Health students in exploring bold new ideas and pursuing truth through science,” Allison said.

As the dean of School of Public Health, Allison will have several responsibilities including; school-level strategic planning, fundraising, school reaccreditation, faculty recruitment and grant acquisition.

“David Allison will continue to propel the School of Public Health-Bloomington forward, advancing the school’s research profile, positive impact on education and community engagement,” Robel said.