crime & courts

Man found dead in Monroe County may be responsible for 3 murders

Region Filler

The Indiana State Police released information Tuesday about four deaths that occurred in Washington and Monroe 
Counties.

Richard Lee Burton, 47, was found dead inside his vehicle in Monroe County on Monday. Burton is believed to be responsible for the deaths of three people whose bodies were found when the Washington County Sheriff’s Department was called to complete a welfare check Sunday at a residence about 14 miles from 
Salem, Indiana.

When the deputy arrived, he knocked on the door and noticed a dead person inside the residence, according to an Indiana State Police press release.

Other police officers arrived at the residence and searched the home and surrounding area. Two other people were found dead inside the residence.

After autopsy results, the victims have been identified as Danny Newlin, 58, Kelley Newlin, 41, and Austin Newlin, 14. Preliminary autopsy results show they were killed from gunshot wounds.

The initial release said police were looking for Burton, who was living at the residence, and could be involved in the deaths or know something about the victims.

The Monroe County Sheriff’s Department received a tip early Monday morning that Burton’s vehicle was parked at the Blackwell Horse Camp near State Road 446. When deputies approached the vehicle, they found Burton dead inside his vehicle.

Burton is believed to be responsible for the deaths of all three victims and his autopsy is being performed in Terre Haute, according to the press release.