Indiana congressman introduces legislation to help students with disabilities

Campus Filler

Indiana Congressman Larry Buschon and Oregon Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici introduced legislation Tuesday that will make it easier for college students with disabilities to access special education services and earn a degree or credential. 

According to a House of Representatives press release, when students with disabilities enroll in college, they are required to complete and submit tests demonstrating their disability. This puts a strain on families who have to pay thousands of dollars for new evaluations from the ones they completed in elementary or high school.

The bill, called the Respond, Innovate, Support and Empower Act, also known as the RISE Act, will allow those students to use preexisting documents to demonstrate their disability, according to the press release.

Under this new legislation, students can use a 504 plan or an individualized education program as documentation so they can receive proper accommodations on their college campus.

"For students with disabilities, the transition from high school to college can be difficult and overwhelming,” Bucshon said in the press release.“The RISE Act is an important step forward to ease this transition by making accommodations more accessible for students who need them and equipping families with the right resources. By removing the roadblocks in their way, we can help ensure students with disabilities have the opportunity to rise to their full potential.”

The RISE Act will also authorize $10 million in funding for the National Center for Information and Technical Support for Postsecondary Students with Disabilities. The center sends out information to parents and students about how to receive accommodations in higher education and teaches college and university faculty how to best support students with disabilities.

Under the RISE Act, higher education institutions will be required to disseminate clear information to students and families about the process to access accommodations. 

Colleges and universities will also have to report more complete data about students with disabilities, including the number of students who receive accommodations and how many of them earn a certificate or degree. According to the bill summary, this will help families choose where to apply to college.

“Too many students with disabilities continue to face barriers to success in higher education,” Bonamici said in the press release. “When students transition from high school to higher education, they shouldn’t face hurdles when seeking the support they need. Ultimately, this will help more students get the support they need, earn a degree or credential, and enter the workforce with the skills to succeed.”

According to a 2015 briefing paper from the National Council on Disability, about 11 percent of undergraduates have a disability, which accounts for about 2 million students nationwide.

Alison Graham