Governor appoints 3 new members to the IU Board of Trustees

Campus Filler

Governor Eric Holcomb announced three new members of the IU Board of Trustees on Wednesday. Their positions take effect July 1.

Harry Gonso, an Indianapolis attorney and a former trustee from 1976 to 1994, was among the selected. Gonso will be replacing Andy Mohr, CEO of Andy Mohr Automotive, who was appointed in 2014 by then-Governor Mike Pence.

Gonso served as senior counsel and chief of staff in 2005 and 2006 for then-Governor Mitch Daniels. Gonso was also the quarterback of IU’s 1968 Rose Bowl team, according to an IU press release. He earned a degree in accounting from IU in 1970 and a law degree from the Maurer School of Law in 1973.

Michael Mirro, from Fort-Wayne, Indiana, was reappointed to a second three-year term.

Mirro is an active member of the American Heart Association and the American College of Cardiology. He has conducted numerous clinical research projects, according to the press release.

The final appointee is Zachary Arnold, a medical student at the IU School of Medicine in Muncie, Indiana. He will serve a two-year term as the student trustee.

Arnold earned his bachelor’s degree in biology and neuroscience from IU Bloomington.

“Our new trustees will bring to the board a combination of outstanding talent, experience and enthusiasm for IU,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the press release. “We are especially pleased that Gov. Holcomb has selected — in Harry Gonso and Mike Mirro — two individuals who are highly accomplished and respected within their professional fields and who also have a deep appreciation for the vital central importance of IU’s academic mission and its continuing mission of excellence in education, research and engagement in the life of our state. Both are extremely well qualified and positioned to play major roles in further strengthening our nearly 200-year-old institution.”

IU’s board has nine members. Six of them, including the student trustee, are appointed by the state governor. IU alumni select the remaining three members.