Former Hoosier on ballot for 2018 Hall of Fame

Randle

According to an announcement from the National Football Foundation, former IU quarterback Antwaan Randle El is on the 2018 ballot for induction into the College Football Hall of Fame.

Randle El played for the Hoosiers from 1998-2001 before playing in the NFL for 10 years.

He played for the Washington Redskins and was also a member of the 2005 Super Bowl champion Pittsburg Steelers.

Prior to getting drafted by Pittsburgh in the 2002 draft, Randle El spent four seasons making a name for himself at IU.

He used his versatility as an athletic runner and a playmaker to become a scoring machine for the Hoosiers.

The dynamic signal-caller was the first player in NCAA Division I history to pass for 40 career touchdowns (45) and score 40 career rushing touchdowns (42). He was also the first player to record over 2,500 total yards in four consecutive seasons.

Accumulating 7,469 passing yards, 3,895 rushing yards and 92 total touchdowns, he was the first player to both pass for over 6,000 yards and rush for over 3,000 yards. His jaw-dropping statistics were recognized by the Big Ten Conference every year he played.

Randle El was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year following his 1998 first-year campaign. He earned All-Big Ten honors in all of his next three seasons at IU.

He was also named Big Ten MVP for his senior year in 2001.

After finishing 13th in the Heisman Trophy balloting his junior season, Randle El came back his senior year to finish sixth while earning All-American honors that season as well.

The announcement of the 2018 class will be made on Monday, Jan. 8, 2018, in Atlanta, Georgia.