Dedelow drafted by White Sox in 9th Round

Senior outfielder Craig Dedelow jumps to his feet after a diving catch in right field against Minnesota on May 24, 2017 at Bart Kaufman Field. Dedelow was picked in the 9th round of the MLB draft by the Chicago White Sox.

Craig Dedelow’s decision to return to IU for his senior season paid off.

After being drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 34rd round of the 2016 MLB Draft, the centerfielder decided to improve his draft stock. In his final season, Dedelow enhanced his draft position with a monster senior year.

Following a 19 home run campaign, Dedelow was drafted in the ninth round of the 2017 MLB Draft by the White Sox on Tuesday with the 267st selection.

Dedelow was a three-time All-Big Ten selection and was named IU’s offensive MVP in 2016. He was IU’s 89 all-time draft pick. In recent years, IU has had many players selected in the draft. Since 2009, 17 Hoosiers have been picked in the first 15 rounds.

Dedelow finished the 2017 season second in the Big Ten with 19 home runs and total bases, with 135.

He was fourth in slugging percentage (.563) and fifth in RBI (54). His 19 home runs in one season place him tied for fifth with Dough DeVore for most home runs in a season by a Hoosier. DeVore hit 19 home runs in 1999.

In his career, Dedelow was a .289 hitter with 224 hits, 43 doubles, 31 home runs and 135 RBI.

In each of the past two seasons, he led the Hoosiers in hits and total bases.

Dedelow’s bat helped lead IU to the NCAA Tournament the past two seasons, and three times in his career.