Tuesday, March 19

IDS managing editor Andrew Hussey talks to his mom

What parts of my early college experience were you able to be there for and what parts did you wish you were there for?

I was there orientation, parent’s weekend and the football game. It was good to be there for the parent’s weekend because it was about midway through your freshman year. I wish I was able to attend your Honor’s Convocation.

What was the hardest part of dropping me off at IU?

The hardest part about dropping you off was knowing that this was the first step in the process of letting you go into your new, independent life as an adult. The first few days were tough, especially leaving you that first day.

What would you have wished you would have known about the transition to being apart?

I wish I knew how much I was going to miss you and how much in that initial stage that you needed your space to get adapted into the college routine.

How did you balance being supportive and being there for me without being overbearing and letting me do my own thing?

I tried to make myself available to you, but let you set the pace and instigate, as far as communication went. If you needed support, I was available, but I tried to allow you to figure things out on your own and learn how to be independent.

How important were my grades and my GPA to you?

Your grades/ GPA mattered to me, but I didn’t worry about it because I knew you had always been self-motivated and would do your best.

What items do you wish you would have sent with me to college?

Nothing, I probably sent too much stuff with you, trying to prepare for every situation. In reality, you didn’t use more than a quarter of it and you could always go into town to get something you needed.

What was the best way to keep in touch?

Texting seemed to be the best way to stay in touch. It’s less intrusive and you always seem to be on your phone so it was the easiest way to get updates on how things are going.

Looking back on the last three years, do you have any specific advice you would give to parents of next year’s freshmen?

I think the hardest part about being apart is the communication, or lack thereof. So, be specific with expectations and have a discussion about it before they leave. Also, to realize that this is the time for our kids to grow up and we can’t fix things for them. As hard as this is to accept, this is exactly the way it is supposed to be.