IU announces faculty honors

Campus Filler

Following the 2016-2017 school year, many of IU’s best faculty were honored with prestigious awards, the University announced in a press release Wednesday.

Professor of history and philosophy of science and medicine Domenico Bertoloni Meli received the Tracy M. Sonneborn Award, honoring faculty for combining excellence in teaching and research.

Meli was also appointed Provost Professor along with Andrea Ciccarelli, Karma Lochrie and Jeffrey Zaleski. Ciccarelli is the dean of the Hutton Honors College and an Italian professor, Lochrie is the Ruth N. Halls Professor of English and Zaleski is an associate vice provost for research and professor of chemistry.

The Provost Professor award “recognizes faculty members who have achieved local, national and international distinction in research and teaching,” the press release said.

Beth Gazley and Catherine Sherwood-Laughlin will receive the Distinguished Service Award for 2017-18. Gazley is a professor in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs and Sherwood-Laughlin is a clinical professor in the School of Public Health.

“It is a great privilege to recognize these deserving faculty members,” Eliza Pavalko vice provost for faculty and academic affairs said in the release. “Professors Bertoloni Meli, Ciccarelli, Lochrie and Zaleski have achieved widespread recognition for their scholarship, research and teaching. Professors Gazley and Sherwood-Laughlin have demonstrated outstanding service to the campus, their academic disciplines and the community.”