City to complete 53 paving projects by September

Region Filler

The City of Bloomington Street Department began asphalt-paving projects that will continue now through September.

The department will complete 53 projects and resurface 23 lane miles of streets, roads and alleys, according to a City of Bloomington press release.

Sections of Morton Street, College Avenue, Lincoln Street and Dunn Street are scheduled for repaving in June.

This year’s city budget allocated $800,000 to purchase asphalt for repaving projects.

Additionally, because of the mild winter, the city was able to purchase less salt for the roadways.

The money saved by the city will bring an additional $400,000 to paving needs.

The extra funds will be put toward a new 2016 Caterpillar AP500F paver and renting an asphalt milling machine for the ongoing projects, according to the press release.

This year, the Street Department is providing an interactive map for citizens to see each individual paving project, when it is scheduled to begin and whether or not it has been 
completed.

The map is available at bloomington.in.gov/street.

“Our department is looking forward to completing these paving projects,” Joe VanDeventer, director of street operations, said in the press release. “The new interactive map is a great tool that will make it easy to see this year’s paving schedule and track our progress.”

The map will be updated on a monthly basis.