weekend

Summer TV Preview: Wrestlers, reboots and prison riots

Lena Headey and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau return for "Game of Thrones" Season 7.

“Sense8”— May 5

Season 2 of the Wachowski sisters’ wacky supernatural drama returns this May and not a day too soon. The Christmas episode of the show, which also acts as the first episode of the second season, was a joyful, technicolor delight. If the rest of the season follows suit, we’re in for a treat.

“Master of None”— May 12

The first season of Aziz Ansari’s original comedy was a smash hit for Netflix, bringing in various awards and plenty of acclaim. The second season finds main character Dev in Italy, where he moved to attend pasta school. Aziz said in an interview that this season will explore differences between Italian and American cultures.

“Twin Peaks”— May 21

In an era of reboot fatigue, few can complain about the upcoming revival of David Lynch’s “Twin Peaks.” The famously weird drama made waves in the early nineties, and it stands to turn the TV industry on its head again this year with a premiere at the Cannes Film Festival.

“Orange is the New Black”— June 9

At the end of the fourth season of “Orange is the New Black,” Litchfield was in a state of chaos. Poussey had just died, inmates had taken over the prison, and Daya stood holding a gun pointed at a prison guard with a mob of inmates surrounding her. The fifth season reportedly picks up right where we left off, and the entire season will take place in three days after the incident.

"GLOW"— June 23

Netflix’s newest comedy stars Alison Brie as a female wrestler, which is really all anyone should need to know. “GLOW,” which stands for the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, is based on a syndicated professional wrestling circuit in 1980s Los Angeles.

"Game of Thrones"— July 16

Winter is here. The seventh season of “Game of Thrones” finally premieres in July, and it can’t come fast enough. It’s Starks versus Lannisters versus Targaryens versus White Walkers, and with only thirteen episodes left in the series, you can bet things will be moving fast.

"Insecure"— July 23

Issa Rae’s HBO comedy drew praise in its first season for its nuanced and entertaining discussion of social and racial issues. “We’re coming back happier, stronger, better and doper than ever,” Rae said in a video announcing the Season 2 premiere date. Count us in.

"Marvel’s Defenders"— Aug. 18

Now that Marvel has aired at least one season each of “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones,” “Luke Cage,” and “Iron Fist,” it’s time for the Defenders to unite. The gritty gang of superheroes will band together for the first time in “Marvel’s Defenders,” premiering in August. Avengers, who?