School of Art Design will be celebrated during ceremony

Arts Filler

Kirkwood Hall will soon be rededicated as a part of the School of Art + Design.

A celebration of the school and rededication ceremony is scheduled to take place starting at 1:30 p.m. Friday in the Indiana Memorial Union’s Alumni Hall. The rededication is part of the ongoing efforts to fulfill the goals of the Bicentennial Strategy Plan, according to an IU news release.

Dean Peg Faimon said the school is excited to have students fully involved in the ceremony and activities.

“They are part of a video introducing the school, will be tour guides to show off the renovated Kirkwood Hall and will have work on display throughout the building,” Faimon said.

Interested students can visit the building between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. Friday to discuss taking courses or pursuing majors or minors in the school, Faimon said. sia

The week of fine arts festivities begins at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday with a fashion show by students in the design program. First Thursday festivities will include representation from the School of Art + Design , and Friday will be filled with programming including MFA thesis exhibitions, gallery tours and the ceremony at Alumni Hall.

The ceremony Friday will include the awarding of the President’s Medal to two School of Art + Design’s faculty members, Jeffrey A. Wolin, professor of photography in the department of studio art, and Barry Gealt, retired member of the painting and drawing faculty.

The School of Art + Design was formed in 2016 as a merger between the Department of Apparel Merchandising and Interior Design and the Department of Studio Art. Dake said the classes within the school encompass apparel merchandising, architecture, comprehensive design, fashion design, interior design and studio art.

The classes moved to Kirkwood Hall will include apparel merchandising, interior design and fashion design offices as well as the dean’s suite.

Studio art classes will remain in the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts building, though plans are underway to develop a structure for studio purposes at 13th Street and Woodlawn in the future, Dake said.

The reaction from students and faculty in the school has been positive.

“The concept for the school came from faculty and staff of the new school,” Dake said. “The idea of bringing together programs in art, design and merchandising, opens up exciting opportunities for innovative and interdisciplinary study.”