Polish Studies Center organized a symposium Friday and Saturday

Campus Filler

IU’s Polish Studies Center organized a two-day symposium Friday and Saturday to celebrate its 40th anniversary and to discuss Poland’s global role with regards to its debatable label as postcolonial country.

The conference “Unforeseen Constellations: Reading Postcolonial Poland with South America” joined scholars from the United States and abroad from Poland, Great Britain, Brazil and Canada and was sponsored by a New Frontiers New Currents Conference Grant.

“The debate on the postcolonial status of Poland has become prominent, extending from academic circles into political and public discourse,” said Joanna Nizynska, director of the Polish Studies Center, in the release.

The event’s organizers, Nizynska and Kristin Kopp, faculty from the department of German and Russian Studies at University of Missouri, hoped the symposium could be a time to discuss and compare the postcolonial narratives in both Poland and South American countries, according to the release.

Faculty from IU’s departments of geography, Slavic and East European Languages and Culture, English and others participated in the conference in addition to the international 
specialists.

The two-day symposium itinerary offered multiple discussions, including one which questioned postcolonial authenticity and another which examined religion’s role in 
post-colonialism.