weekend

'Peeping Tom' gives horror a voyeuristic twist

1960 thriller "Peeping Tom" has inspired many of today's most successful directors.

“Peeping Tom” is a fantastic thriller. It features the great British director Michael Powell at the height of his fame. This movie is as unnerving now as when it first came out in 1960.

“Peeping Tom” tells the story of Mark Lewis, a focus puller on a film set. At night, Lewis likes to film women as he kills them. A romance with one of his boarders might change his life, but he’ll have to finish his “documentary” first.

Powell was considered one of the greatest British directors of all time. He made classic films with Emeric Pressburger such as “The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp” and “The Red Shoes.” He inspired and served as a mentor of sorts to Martin Scorsese.

“Peeping Tom” was the first film Powell made after ending his partnership with Pressburger. Most critics at the time hated it with a passion. The negative response to this movie virtually destroyed Powell’s career for years.

Today this movie is recognized as a cult classic. It is one of director Edgar Wright's favorite films. Scorsese has spoken of the inspiration that this movie afforded him.

One of the most memorable things about “Peeping Tom,” a movie about disturbed film making, is its cinematography. The colors are bright and vivid. The camera glides through several sequences. Even the smallest details are brilliant. The lighting is excellent. One shot bathes a character in red light to make the scene look eerier.

Carl Boehm is a little stiff as Lewis. His German accent stands out amidst a sea of British ones. These are just two things that help express the awkwardness that Lewis constantly feels.

The supporting cast is exemplary. Anna Massey is endearing as Helen Stevens, Lewis’ boarder and love interest. Moira Shearer is fun as an actress named Vivian. Powell himself has an interesting cameo as Lewis’ sadistic father. 

Sometimes “Peeping Tom” has too much exposition. I would have preferred it if Powell had revealed less of Lewis’s backstory. His murders would have been even more frightening if we did not know the reason for them.

But his crimes still feel very creepy. Point-of-view shots from Lewis’ camera as he stalks his victims are chilling. Powell does not show us the grisly side of these crimes, which makes them even scarier, rendered only in the audience’s imagination.

Horror films are great at making the everyday seem terrifying. “Peeping Tom” does this by making Lewis’ camera look strange and sinister, distorted by the crimes it has witnessed. You’ll never look at a tripod or a camera in the same way after seeing this film.

“Peeping Tom” remains a frightening and well-directed film. It has many moments that show Powell’s singular talent for filmmaking. You should see for yourself why this cult classic has gained a better reputation.