weekend

Pasternack on the Past: 'Park Row' is a tribute to journalism

Samuel Fuller's 1952 film "Park Row" is a tribute to American journalism.

The 1952 film “Park Row” is a passionate tribute to American journalism. It has some faults, but it is still an inspiring film and Director Samuel Fuller’s sharp writing and dynamic cinematography are excellent.

This movie is set in 1880s New York City. Wealthy newspaper publisher Charity Hackett fires her brilliant reporter Phineas Mitchell. Mitchell uses the opportunity to start a new newspaper called the Globe. Sparks fly between them as Mitchell tries to make the Globe the best newspaper in the city.

Fuller had a deep background in journalism. He started working for newspapers as a child and was the youngest reporter to be in charge of the New York Journal’s events section. This movie was his passion project, and it shows.

The first shot is a list of 1,772 daily newspapers. Then a title informs the audience that “Park Row” is dedicated to American journalism. 

A nice portion of the dialogue is about the importance of newspapers. At its best it reminded me of the necessity and beauty of a free press. At its worst it reminded me of the popular Twitter account "Guy at your J-School," which satirizes men such as Mitchell.

The film’s idealism feels sincere. Gene Evans’s performance as Mitchell conveys his love for his job and honest belief in the power of journalism. This movie does a good job of showing that journalists are an essential part of democracy because they keep the public informed.

This movie reminds me of E. L. Doctorow's “Ragtime,” one of my favorite novels. Like “Ragtime,” this film mixes fact and fiction. Fuller invented some characters, such as Mitchell. These characters exist alongside historical figures, including daredevil Steve Brodie and inventor Ottmar Mergenthaler. 

The cinematography of “Park Row” is fantastic. There are many long takes that convey the energy of working in journalism. My favorite is one where Mitchell leaves a building to fight off some thugs. The supporting performances are also fantastic. Mary Welch is a great antagonist as Charity Hackett. Herbert Hayes is dignified as the aging reporter Josiah Davenport.

“Park Row” is an excellent movie. Its writing and cinematography are still exciting. More than anything, it is a great reminder of why journalism is a valuable part of our society.