IU offers passport assistance

Nick Surette, left, a sophomore from Carmel, Indiana, was the first IU student to use the new passport acceptance office. Assisting him are Kristin McCormick, center, and Lorena Mendez.

IU’s Office of International Services is now considered an official United States passport acceptance site, which allows students, staff and faculty to apply for a passport at a location other than the downtown post office.

According to an IU press release, the site is on the second floor of the Poplars Building at 400 E. Seventh St. It accepts both walk-ins and appointments.

“With its nationally recognized expertise in immigration and visa issues and its many years of exceptional service to students and scholars, the Office of International Services is an ideal center for managing passport issues,” said David Zaret, IU vice president for international affairs, in the release.

The application fee will remain at $25, like at other sites, and will also maintain the U.S. Department of State’s fee, $110 for the book and $30 for the smaller card. For $12.95 plus tax, the OIS will also provide photo services, according to the release.

This can help international students who are applying for a visa abroad or employment authorization within the U.S.

According to the release, the office applied for several reasons.

Because passports are required to travel, study, teach or conduct research abroad, the office concluded that having one location for all of the above would facilitate the worldwide mobility of IU students and scholars, according to the release.

The one-stop-shop style would also help students and scholars avoid waiting in lines at the post office behind people mailing packages, which expedited the process.

The office is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Fridays.

“The new passport office adds value to the services IU already provides and makes the process of preparing for international travel more convenient and reliable for the Bloomington campus and community,” said Christopher Viers, IU associate vice president for international services, in the release.