sports baseball

IU looks to avenge March loss against Indiana State

Freshman Matt Gorskey drops the ball at first base during the first inning of IU's game against Indiana State on March 29. IU lost to Indiana State, 7-3. 

IU baseball enters its mid-week matchup against Indiana State on Tuesday night in Terre Haute, Indiana, with an opportunity to bounce back from a tough stretch where the Hoosiers went 2-5-1.

IU was nearly swept by Nebraska and Purdue the past two weekends, but saved itself by tying and winning the respective series finales. The Hoosiers’ current slide began with a 7-3 loss to the Sycamores in Bloomington on March 29.

Before beating Purdue 14-9 Sunday, IU had been struggling to score. IU scored no more than five runs in any of its previous seven games and put up a total of just five against Nebraska in a three-game series.

But the Purdue game featured an offensive outburst for IU. All but three Hoosiers in the starting lineup recorded RBI, and all but one recorded at least one hit. Four home runs and a double added to the gaudy numbers the 
Hoosiers produced.

In the previous matchup against IU, Indiana State junior pitcher Ethan Larrison and senior pitcher Ryan Keaffaber combined for 7.1 innings pitched and allowed four hits, and one run. IU only had three hits through seven innings, and the bats hadn’t rebounded until Sunday.

On the mound, pitching hasn’t been an issue for the Hoosiers. The games have been close since the last Indiana State game, with the run differential just 42-33 in favor of IU’s opponents.

In the last mid-week matchup against Ball State last Tuesday, sophomore pitcher Tim Herrin pitched four innings while allowing four hits and one run in an IU win.

First pitch is set for 6 p.m., and IU will try to put together another complete game to defeat Indiana State on its diamond, just like the Sycamores did to the Hoosiers two 
weeks ago.