IU lands Notre Dame transfer, former Indiana Miss Basketball

Head coach Teri Moren takes a knee at the edge of the court during the fourth quarter of play. The Hoosiers held on late to beat the Iowa Hawkeyes 79-74 Thursday, Feb. 4.

IU women’s basketball has gained a transfer in former Notre Dame guard Ali Patberg, IU Athletics announced Monday.

IU Coach Teri Moren expressed her excitement about the addition of Patberg in a release.

“As one of the most decorated players to come out of the state of Indiana, she will 
be a great 
addition to our roster,” Moren said in the release. “She comes from a great basketball family and we are looking forward to having them all join the IU Women’s Basketball program.”

Patberg was Indiana’s Miss Basketball in 2015. The rising sophomore is from Columbus, Indiana, and attended Columbus North High School. She was also a McDonald’s All-American and the 2015 MaxPreps National High School Player of the Year.

Patberg was redshirted her freshman season at Notre Dame due to a torn right ACL, which she suffered during practice in November. This past season Patberg played in 22 games while averaging 0.8 points and just less than eight 
minutes per game.

Patberg’s career has been slowed by injuries, but given her talent level and high school accolades, Patberg will likely get a shot at taking over the point guard position when rising senior guard Tyra Buss graduates after this upcoming season.

Due to NCAA transfer regulations, Patberg will be forced to sit out the 2017-18 season but will have at least two years of eligibility remaining starting in the 2018-19 season. The Hoosiers have already lost four guards from this past season’s squad, including two starters in seniors Karlee McBride and Alexis 
Gassion.

With two additional younger guards, freshman Ria Gulley and sophomore Tia Elbert, recently deciding to leave the program, Moren needed to find a long-term replacement in the back court.

Patberg may fit that bill, but IU also has top guard commits in each of its next two recruiting classes. Jaelynn Penn is a 5-foot-10 wing and is part of IU’s 2017 five-member recruiting class, while 2018 guard Grace Berger has also committed to the Hoosiers. Penn is ranked No. 39 in ESPN’s 2017 overall player rankings, while Berger is ranked No. 46 among 2018 players.