IU closes home schedule with two wins

spiumt

IU men’s tennis had the full support of its fans during the final weekend of home matches this season, and the Hoosiers did not disappoint and delivered a pair of strong victories.

IU shut out Nebraska 7-0 in an outdoor match Friday, and two days later at the IU Tennis Center, IU defeated Iowa 4-1 on Stefan Lugonjic and Matthew McCoy’s senior day for the Hoosiers’ 13th win.

“All year we have been talking about how to prepare for the Big Ten season and trying to reach our goals,” IU Coach Jeremy Wurtzman said. “This weekend we were on a mission to do that. Winning two matches in one of the best conferences in the country is never easy to do.”

The Hoosiers dominated right off the bat Friday and kept the Huskers on their toes in both doubles and singles play in the outdoor match.

IU won at positions two and three doubles with a score of 6-2 in both to earn the doubles point and take the 1-0 lead.

In singles, junior Raheel Manji made his return at home after being out for six previous matches in Bloomington due to an ankle injury and won an intense singles matchup in a 10-point tiebreaker.

Although he wore an ankle brace the entire weekend, it did not play a big role in his mobility and he was able to win in both singles and doubles.

“You really miss that feeling of being out there with the boys,” Manji said. “And you take it for granted when you are in the lineup every single day. It reminded me of how much getting wins for this team and providing for this team means to me.”

Manji, however, was the only Hoosier who went to a third set against the Huskers. IU won in straight sets in all other singles matches.

Sunday, the Hoosiers came into the IU Tennis Center and kept the 
momentum rolling.

Wurtzman said the doubles play against Iowa was one of the most intense doubles matchups played at home this season. IU came up on top in doubles positions one and two by scores of 7-6 (5) and 6-4, respectively. The Hoosiers lost at No. 3 doubles in a 
tiebreaker.

Following the doubles, IU was able to win the three more singles matches it needed to earn its fourth Big Ten win of the season.

Manji, junior Keivon Tabrizi and sophomore Oliver Sec won their matches in straight sets to secure the Hoosier victory.

Up next the Hoosiers will go on the road to play their last two matchups of the season against Big Ten opponents. First will be Wisconsin and two days later Minnesota for IU’s season finale.

Wurtzman said the Hoosiers will need to play a “disciplined, good” tennis game.

“It is not going to be easy, being on the road, but we have had success against both those teams last year,” he said. “We will roll with it and hopefully come away with the win.”