IU announces Big Ten Medal of Honor recipients

Sports Filler

The IU athletics department announced that senior soccer player Derek Creviston and senior softball player CaraMia Tsirigos have been named the Hoosiers’ 2016-17 Big Ten Medal of Honor recipients.

The award was announced and the duo was honored Monday at the Spirit of Indiana Showcase at the IU Auditorium.

The Big Ten has awarded this honor annually for the past 103 years to graduating athletes who “attained the greatest proficiency in athletics and scholastic work.” The conference dubs the recognition as the Big Ten’s most prestigious award for athletics and scholastic excellence.

Both Creviston and Tsirigos have been awarded multiple Academic All-Big Ten selections. Both players hail from Atlanta.

Creviston earned the Big Ten Sportsmanship award this past season and was a key leader for his team. The Hoosiers earned an NCAA Tournament berth for the 30th consecutive season. He played center back for IU, which was one of the best in the country this past season. In his career, Creviston tallied one goal and one assist.

Tsirigos usually is the designated hitter for IU softball and has slugged 25 career home runs. This season she is hitting a career-best .305 and has eight home runs as well.

Off the field, Tsirigos is an executive board member for the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and has been involved in the Hoosier Heroes Leadership and Emerging Leaders program.

She will graduate with a sport marketing and management major with a minor from the Kelley School of Business.