weekend

Indiana Comic Con Guide: Last-minute cosplay ideas you probably haven't considered

LEGION -- "Chapter 5" – Season 1, Episode 5 (Airs Wednesday, March 8, 10:00 pm/ep) -- Pictured: Aubrey Plaza as Lenny "Cornflakes" Busker. CR: Michelle Faye/FX

Headed to Indiana Comic Con this weekend but lacking in creative cosplay ideas? Fear not. From escaped AIs to fan favorite villains, this list will help you make an impression at this weekend’s convention with minimal effort.

Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer 
(“Saturday Night Live”)

We would never suggest dressing up as the press secretary himself, but McCarthy’s perfect impression is definitely worth a cosplay or two. You’ll need a bald cap, plenty of chewing gum, and a water gun to silence those pesky journalists. Motorized podium optional.

Ilvermorny students 
(“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”)

Update the traditional Hogwarts students group costume with burgundy-and-blue scarves for the Illvermorny house of your choice. Extra credit for clover pins or gold accents. Bonus: your terrible British accent is not necessary this time around.

Escaped robots 
(“Westworld,” “Ex Machina”)

From the crafty AIs of “Westworld” to cold, beautiful Ava of “Ex Machina,” escaped robots are in lately. Adopt your best “Hello, fellow humans” demeanor and hit the convention floor with your friends, who are definitely also organically human and totally not escaped AIs as well.

Mitsuha Miyamisu and Taki Tachibana 
(“Your Name”)

“Your Name” was released April 7 in the United States after becoming the highest-grossing anime film of all time, easily overtaking Miyazaki’s “Spirited Away.” Grab a friend of the opposite gender and two school uniforms, one red tie and one green, then pretend to swap bodies throughout the day.

Billy Eichner 
(“Billy on the Street”)

Rather than an elaborate costume, cosplaying as Billy Eichner’s ridiculous “Billy on the Street” character requires a commitment of attitude. Dash through the con, shove your microphone in people’s faces and give out niche pop culture prizes, like a bejeweled macaroni sculpture of Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Cecil Palmer 
(“Welcome to Nightvale”)

Wear anything. When you tell people you’re Cecil Palmer from popular podcast series “Welcome to Nightvale,” they may not recognize you — but they can’t contradict you either.

Lenny Busker/The Shadow King (“Legion”)

Harley Quinn can’t be the only crazy villainess at this year’s convention. Aubrey Plaza’s scene-stealing Lenny was a highlight of FX’s trippy new X-Men series “Legion,” and her ever-shifting style is perfect for a delightfully demonic cosplay. Put those last-semester dark circles to good use and pair them with disheveled hair and a secondhand suit. Don’t forget the Twizzler bowtie.

Gloria and Kaiju 
(“Colossal”)

Grab a friend and a monster mask and become Anne Hathaway’s “Colossal” character accompanied by her Kaiju counterpart. The key to nailing this one is to perfectly coordinate your movements with your monster friend — we recommend at least one pre-planned dance sequence.

The Defenders 
(Netflix’s “Defenders”)

There will be plenty of Jessica Joneses walking around at this year’s convention, but the full Defenders gang is bound to be a bit more rare. With a yellow shirt for Luke Cage, a suit and sunglasses for Matt Murdock and generic hippy attire for Danny Rand, you’ll make the Avengers look ridiculously overdressed. This squad doesn’t need special suits to kick serious ass.

Horse Ninja (“Horse Ninja”)

This may be the most niche reference in a list of niche references. For your Horse Ninja cosplay, wear business clothes with a horse mask. Make sure to bring a sign that says “I am not Bojack Horseman” to avoid unnecessary confusion.

Audrey and Elvis 
(“Big Little Lies”)

Casual TV watchers may just see an approximation of Audrey Hepburn and Elvis Presley, but fans of HBO’s “Big Little Lies” will see through the tiara and disco suit to the scheming Monterey couple that lies beneath. Actual murder cover-up optional.

Undercover American gods (“American Gods”)

Starz’ upcoming series “American Gods,” based on a novel by Neil Gaiman, follows a battle between old gods like Odin and Anansi and new gods like Media and Technology. Choose your side wisely, assemble your allegiances and prepare to wage an undercover war amid a crowd of oblivious mortals.

The Archie gang 
(“Riverdale”)

Hot Archie and his friends are taking over the teen TV landscape with new CW show “Riverdale.” No ginger friends? Fear not — KJ Apa’s red hair on the show is far from natural. Spray some temporary orange hair dye on the closest willing participant, assemble the rest of the squad, and you’re good to go.

Lacie (“Black Mirror”)

In order to successfully cosplay as Bryce Dallas Howard’s “Black Mirror” character, a pastel outfit and permanent smile are a must. Have your phone out at all times, and rate everyone based on how nice they are to you. Someone cuts in line for a panel? One star for them.

The Guilty Remnant (“The Leftovers”)

The final season of HBO drama “The Leftovers” premieres on April 16, which means it’s the perfect time to remind people of the Sudden Departure. You know the drill — dress in all white, grab a cigarette, and whatever you do, don’t say a word.