COLUMN: Finding the perfect summer shoe involves prioritizing fashion over comfort

Arts Filler

With only a few days and a few more finals until summer, it is time to start thinking about the perfect summer shoe.

First, let’s start by talking about Chacos. They are perfect for walking, hiking and days too hot for tennis shoes.

These shoes have also blown up among trendy college students who enjoy hiking at Griffy Lake and hanging out at cafés like Hopscotch and the Pourhouse. Comfort over fashion, though. Unfortunately, in the fashion world, “comfort over fashion” is not the motto to live by.

Next, let’s talk about Birkenstocks. I love them. My parents refused to let me buy them two years ago, even when using my own money. Ultimately, I convinced them that I absolutely had to have them.

Birks, as they are commonly called, are perfect for going out to eat or shopping with friends. They pair nicely with a pair of cuffed boyfriend jeans and a flowy T-shirt.

Next, into block heels. These are an important hit right now and shoe geniuses Steve Madden and Kate Spade have released the cutest styles.

For my uncoordinated self, walking in 4-inch stilettos is more than a struggle — it is up to chance of whether or not I am going to break my ankle that night. This, combined with my love of high heels, makes block heels perfect for people like me.

The ankle strap and chunky heel provide enough support to not stumble around all night and risk injury. I have yet to determine the comfort level of such a shoe, but I am here to remind you that beauty and fashion are painful.

I will now move along from open-toed shoes that require a pedicure to the opposite, tennis shoes. In my opinion, there is no better shoe to run errands in than a pair of comfortable tennis shoes.

Black Nike Roshes are sleek and stylish enough to pair with an athleisure outfit to have a productive day. Athleisure is a newly adopted fashion trend that mixes clothing designed for workouts but also can effortlessly be worn outside of the gym.

Athleisure companies such as LuluLemon, Kate Hudson’s Fabletics and Athletica have made a fortune on this growing fashion movement.

Tennis shoes designed to be worn outside of the gym have exploded in the past few years. Adidas released their version of this type of shoe, the Superstars, another example of a large retail brand designing trendy but functional shoes.

Summer shoes are important. The perfect pair can tie together an entire outfit. The not so perfect pair can ruin a night.