COLUMN: Writing column number 110

“That’s a lot of pressure,” one of my good friends said when I told her I’d be writing my last column for the Indiana Daily Student this week.

She wasn’t wrong. One hundred and nine previous columns, about 55,000 words and countless cups of coffee later, and I’m finally here: a week out from graduation.

As a former editor and long-time opinion columnist, I find it sad to be leaving the diverse community of bright-eyed intellectuals who work at the IDS.

I’m not one to be soppy or serious — I reserve tears for binge-watching dramas on Netflix — so I’ll try to keep this as upbeat as 
possible.

The biggest piece of advice I have for all aspiring writers out there is to write what you know. If your 20-something-year-old brain thinks you know everything, you do not. Be sure to do your research because there will be people out there who will do it for you — and call you out for it — if you do not.

At the IDS, I have learned how every word you put down on the page sequentially has gravity and, if done successfully, the power of those words can be very influential.

With that being said, the only way you can form a succinct opinion is to learn how to edit. Do not take this advice lightly.

I will miss the editorial freedom of having my own column and being able to say crazy things with the semi-authoritative voice of a cheese-loving, truth-seeking human being. Just as Karl’s Korner has become a home for my thoughts over the past three years, Bloomington has become my home — for that, I am forever 
grateful.

Although I won’t miss Duo login, the golf-ball size hail, the stairs of Ballantine or the obnoxious sorority recruitment videos that displace reality with glitter and pop music, I have been feeling quite nostalgic as of late.

At IU, I’ve met individuals who treat ranch dressing like it’s the nectar of the gods. Although I pronounce it “sear-up,” I have learned to love people that say syrup like “sir-up.”

Thanks to being on the IU club lacrosse team, I have seen the back roads of Ohio, eaten the cheese curds of Wisconsin and driven on W 8 Mile Road in Detroit.

Bloomington, I’ll miss the free T-shirts, the $2 grilled cheese, my mysterious Campus Access card that magically replenishes itself — thanks, Mom — the candy-striped pants, the friendly squirrels, the kind people that thought to call a breakfast sandwich a buddy and so much more.

I came to this school not knowing anyone, and I am leaving with lifelong friendships. I can confidently say that this university has shown me more things than I ever thought imaginable. I have truly enjoyed learning with individuals from all walks of life, and I will always look back fondly on these past four years.

This is Jess, signing off for one last time. Goodbye, IU.