IU Athletics receives large donations

Sports Filler

Two large donations were given to IU Athletics by the Irsay and Hancock Hiltunen Caito families Wednesday, according to a release from the department. The donations will both go to the IU Athletics Excellence Academy, which is currently being constructed in the south end zone of Memorial Stadium.

The Irsays’ donation was largely headed by Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay’s daughter and Colts co-owner Kalen Jackson.

“We are deeply grateful for the incredible generosity of Kalen Jackson and her family, whose major gift to the Excellence Academy will establish the Irsay Family Wellness Center,” IU Athletics Director Fred Glass said in the release. “The gift will touch the lives of countless students who participate in intercollegiate athletics for generations to come.”

The clinic will house X-ray machines, procedure rooms, sports psychologist offices and more for use by the 650 student athletes at IU.

“The clinic will provide the workspace and technology to ensure that our students are well in mind, body and spirit,” Glass said in the release.

Jackson is a 2010 graduate of the IU School of Public Health. She has also been a board member of the IU Varsity Club since 2016.

The donation from Dena Rae Hancock and Philip Robert Caito will go to the Hancock Hiltunen Caito Center for Leadership and Life Skills.

“Their generosity will help prepare every IU student who participates in intercollegiate athletics for life after graduation,” Glass said in the release. “The Hancock Hiltunen Caito Center for Leadership and Life Skills is central to the mission of the Excellence Academy and will be a model for other institutions to follow. Their investment in the personal growth and development of our students will truly impact lives and change the world.”

Both Hancock and Caito are active members of the IU Alumni Association and other alumni organizations.

Both gifts come as part of the For All: the IU Bicentennial Campaign.