crime & courts

Woman arrested after allegedly stabbing boyfriend with box cutter

Region Filler

A woman is in custody and her boyfriend is recovering from minor injuries after she allegedly assaulted him with a box cutter.

Jacqueline Watrous, 34, faces felony charges for domestic battery while armed with a deadly weapon and criminal recklessness while armed with a deadly 
weapon.

Police responded at about 11:25 p.m. Tuesday to the apartment Watrous and her boyfriend share on the 800 block of East Miller Drive, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said.

The boyfriend, 36, had called police to complain Watrous had stabbed him several times.

Watrous answered the door for officers, Kellams said. Her boyfriend, visibly suffering from wounds to his torso and upper body, was behind her.

He was taken to Bloomington Hospital for treatment and later released. His injuries were mostly 
superficial.

Watrous initially told police she’d fought back after her boyfriend tried to sexually assault her, Kellams said, but her story changed several times.

In the last version she gave, she made no mention of a sexual assault and said she and her boyfriend had gotten in a fight over him refusing to drive her home earlier in the day.

The man told police they’d been fighting recently over a variety of things, Kellams said. Tuesday night, he got in bed after smoking a cigarette and she started attacking him, he said. He barricaded himself in the bathroom and called 911.

Watrous was arrested and taken to Monroe 
County Correctional Center.