Uden receives Big Ten player of the week award

Sports Filler

IU junior infielder Taylor Uden was named the Big Ten Co-Player of the Week on Monday. Uden shares the award with Nebraska senior infielder MJ Knighten.

Uden batted .727 with two home runs in four games against Bowling Green and University of Illinois at Chicago during this past weekend’s Hoosier Classic.

Uden was also hit four doubles, scored five runs and recorded five RBIs. She knocked four hits and drove home three runs Saturday against UIC, both of which are game-highs for her this season.

In total, Uden hit for 18 total bases while being walked four times. Her average for the season improved from .243 before the tournament began to .306 following the weekend.

Uden leads the team in doubles, home runs and RBIs, and is tied for the team lead in hits with 26.

The award marks the third time the Big Ten has recognized an IU player this season. Freshman pitcher Emily Goodin has twice won the Big Ten Freshman of the Week award, including last week’s edition.

It is the first award for a non-pitcher from IU since May 2016, which was also the last time an IU player earned the Big Ten Player of the Week award.

That award went to then-senior utility player Michelle Huber, who currently serves as a graduate assistant to the team.

Up next, IU will welcome Rutgers this weekend for a series in Bloomington.

Cameron Drummond